Big Bad Wax
“BIG BAD WAX”
National Juried Encaustic Exhibition
Mount Dora Cent for the Arts, 138 E. 5th Ave, Mount Dora, FL 32757
CALL FOR ENTRIES
Kim Bernard, nationally exhibited artist who has shown her work at the Art Complex Museum, Currier Museum and the Portland Museum of Art. She teaches encaustic intensives at the Maine College of Art, Plymouth State University and the Maine Coast Encaustic Workshop Retreat.
Susan Loden, award winning visual artist, curator and grant panelist. She is an art journalist and former director of the Lake Eustis Museum of Art.
- Exhibit Dates: January 10th to March 2th, 2014
- Opening Reception: January 10th, 6-8pm
- Deadline for submissions: November 1, 2013
- Artist notification via email: November 15, 2013
- Deadline for receiving accepted work: January 2, 2014
- Works may be shipped or delivered in person.
- All accepted works must be ready to hang.
Unsold works must be picked up by March 2, 2014 between 10am to 8pm. The gallery will ship only if prepaid postage and packing is provided by artist.
Open to all artists incorporating the medium of encaustic into their work. Two and three dimensional works will be accepted, as well as mixed media, provided that encaustic is one of the primary materials. There are no size restrictions for 2-D or 3-D work. Artists are invited and encouraged to consider the theme Big Bad Wax in the broadest sense, exploring size, bigness, boldness, badness and any interpretations that apply.
Big Bad Wax will be held in conjunction with the 39th Annual Mount Dora Arts Festival. To promote the Big Bad Wax exhibit Mount Dora Center for the Arts will feature ads in Professional Artist Magazine, local publications, social media sites, e-blasts, distribute press releases to encourage articles, reviews and regional exposure. All works in the exhibition must be for sale with an artist-gallery split of 65%-35% of the purchase price.
One artist, whose work is selected as Best in Show in the Big Bad Wax exhibit, will be offered a solo exhibit at The Mount Dora Center for the Arts in 2015, and an award of $500.
One runner up will receive an honorable mention and $200.
- Artists may enter up to 3 works
- Submission entries will be accepted now through November 1, 2013
- Submission fee of $25 paid through PayPal at ww.mountdoracenterforthearts.org
Submit the following in one email with the subject “Big Bad Wax”
- Current contact information
- Image list of works submitted
- Brief statement about the work in relationship to the title of the show (150 word max)
- Artists Bio (150 word max)
- Up to 3 JPEGs of 3 existing works
- Artists must send JPEGs formatted as follows:
- 300dpi image resolution
- Maximum file size per image – 1MB
- Title each image as follows: image#_lastname_title_HxWxD.jpeg
Copy and paste the information below, include in the body of the email as well as an attachment accompanied by up to 3 JPEGs. Email this in one email to Nancy@MountDoraCenterfortheArts.org.
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. A complete prospectus may also be found at www.mountdoracenterforthearts.org.
City, State, Zip:
Studio or Cell Phone:
Brief statement about how the work addresses the theme of the show (150 word max):
Artists Bio (150 work max):